This week it’s just the two of us, talking about our own process of reflecting on the past year, and planning for the year ahead. We walk you through step by step of how we both look back with gratefulness and learning, and look forward with excitement and anticipation. We also give a few exercises we do to keep ourselves focused, purposeful, and intentional. Here’s to a great year ahead!!
PROCESS WE USED THIS YEAR FOR REFLECTION & PLANNING
#1 – 2018 REFLECTION
- Overall Successes of 2018
- What worked well / What are you celebrating?
- What didn’t work / What frustrated you?
#2 – BRAINDUMP
Once you feel like you have a good handle on how your past year was, you are ready to tackle a brainstorm session for everything on your mind for 2019. In your notebook, just start jotting things down. Simply write out everything you’re thinking you want the new year to encompass and everything that’s a current stressor.
Write things like:
- Side projects you’re thinking of working on (new offerings, collaborations…etc.)
- Things keeping you up at night
- Things you want to do more of
- Relationships you want to build
- Financial goals you’re thinking of
- Words/feelings/habits to focus on
- Processes to refine
Ok, now… write down every specific To Do that is in your head.
- When everything is in your head that you need or want to do or accomplish in your business, it often is overwhelming. Once it’s out of your mind, it becomes less of a stress point.
- Write down things like – a new hire, someone you need to fire, schedule weekly meetings, paint kids corner, new software needed, develop an internship, build partnerships in the community, plan an event, invest in a mentor, get new website, etc.
#3 – ORGANIZE YOUR PLAN & WRITE OUT 2019 GOALS
- Based on the brain dump and your To Do list (#2), now is when you begin prioritizing.
- One way to prioritize them is using Brian Tracy’s method:
- Go through your list, give every task a letter from A to E, A being the highest priority.
- For every task that has an A, give it a number which dictates the order you’ll do it in.
- Repeat until all tasks have letters and numbers.
- Now, choose the 3 big things you’ll tackle in January, 3 in February, 3 in March, and so on.
- Now, get more specific on exactly how you are going to accomplish those things.
#4 – DECIDE ON YOUR 3 WORDS FOR THE YEAR
- Now, based on all the work you’ve done above, what are the 3 words that you always need to keep in front of you this year?
- Could be words like – discipline, growth, action, say “yes” (or say “no”), focus, invest, collaboration, etc.